Red7 , July 11, 2014
Make sure your hen weekend in Paris isn’t a military operation of sightseeing and jostling with over-eager tourists. Take a step back and choose a selection of the best experiences in the French capital that provide a captivating window into the city of light.
Our stress-free guide to a romantic Parisian hen weekend will put you on the right track.
1. Capture the spirit of the Tour de France and take a cycle tour of the city. Paris is one of Europe’s cities best seen by bike. If you don’t fancy taking part in an organised tour on your hen weekend, rent a Velib (the Parisian version of London’s Boris bikes) and explore the cobbled streets and beautiful parks of Paris at your leisure.
2. Indulge your sweet tooth with a special hen weekend high tea at Jaquemart-Andre museum, a grand Parisian 18th century mansion where you can step back in time in the utmost luxury.
3. Discover Paris’ amazingly stylish wedding shops on your hen weekend. Metal Flaque on Rue de L’echelle has banned meringues and stocks a covetable collection of designer dresses from around the world from the likes of Oscar de la Renta, Jenny Packman and Lella Hafzi. It’s a truly elegant wedding dress shopping experience. Have a look round for inspiration or book a fitting – it’s like ‘Bridesmaids’ but better.
4. Visit the trendy Oberkampf area (yes, we know it sounds German – it’s named for an 18th-century German-born French industrialist) where you can dine in old-school French bistro, Astler, which is loved by locals. This charming dining room comes with chequered tablecloths, perfectly formed traditional French food and incredible value for money. You’ll leave satisfied and ready to be rolled back t0 your hotel.
5. If you have to do at least one major tourist attraction, choose the rooftops of Notre Dame cathedral where the hens can wander amongst the gargoyles and look out over the rooftops of Paris without having to fight the other tourists to the top a la Eiffel Tower.
6. Gather your picnic materials at Fromagerie Quatrehomme, Paris’ famous cheese shop, It caters for high end customers and French cheese connoisseurs. Don’t leave Paris without having a nose around.
7. Designer shopping is a Paris hen weekend rite of passage, but there’s more than just the main shopping streets to satisfy yor label lust. At Montaigne Market, shop amongst scores of iconic labels all under one roof. The wearable pieces iconic range from fifty euros to the thousands but it’s worth going to shop ( and try on a few dresses and coats) even if you’re not looking to buy. Alternatively, discover the magical world of Paris vintage shopping at Mon Amour, a treasure trove of designer pieces, jewellery and accessories from 1940s Paris and one off designs. Hens can step into the past an emerge looking like you belong to Pars’ romantic past.